Avantek Computer, Ambedded and SUSE Partner to Deliver Powerful, Affordable Arm based Ceph Storage Appliance
The Ambedded microserver, based on the Arm®v8-A architecture, and Ceph management GUI will be integrated with SUSE Enterprise Storage 6 as a turnkey storage solution, reducing total cost of ownership and shortening the time-to-market for scalable Ceph storage appliances. The solution also aims to reduce barrier-to-entry for organizations that intend to deploy Ceph clusters with limited engineering resources.
Ambedded has been recognized as the leader of Arm-based microserver Ceph storage appliances since 2016. Thep award-winning microservers are part of Ambedded’s Mars Series which are designed for Ceph and aim to solve large outages caused by single-node failures. These single-node failures can cause multiple Object Storage Devices (OSD) to go down at the same time, prompting mass-data recovery on a production cluster. Instead of using a centralized server architecture with one server node hosting multiple OSDs, Ambedded leverages a microserver architecture to minimize the failure domain to one single OSD, leveriging the Mars 1 U chassis to accommodate eight microserver nodes.
There are five major benefits running SUSE Enterprise Storage 6 on this microserver architecture:
- It offers the smallest failure domain to OSD level compared to the x86 centralized server platform
- All Ceph daemons own hardware resources to get a balanced workload, resulting in increased cluster performance and stability
- Customers can use just 3x1U Mars 400 appliance to build a high-availability SUSE Enterprise Storage 6 (Ceph) cluster. This reduces the initial investment of building a SUSE Enterprise Storage 6 cluster with a minimum of 7~8 units x86 servers
- The Ambedded Mars 400 consumes a maximum of 100 watts of power, saving customers more than 60% of power utility on server compared to the same scale Ceph cluster power by x86 servers.
- Under the power supply limitation on each rack, Mars 400 can accommodate 1.6 times of OSD compared to general x86 servers.
“Customers across a wide range of industries are actively looking for Ceph based appliances that can be easily deployed in use cases that vary from the edge to the data center to the cloud,” noted SUSE’s Larry Morris, Director of Product Management for Software Defined Infrastructure. “SUSE is pleased to be partnering with Ambedded to deliver this cutting edge Abased appliance.”
“A world of one trillion connected devices is only possible if we continue to remove the barriers to a building a stronger infrastructure for those devices and the data they will generate,” said Kevin Ryan, senior director of ecosystem development, Infrastructure Line of Business, Arm. “The Arm-based microserver from Ambedded and SUSE is another step in delivering the performance and efficiency required to manage the explosion of data at the edge and into the cloud.”
Ambedded offers experienced technical support and consulting services for Ceph covering telecom, data center, government, web hosting, and enterprises applications. Ambedded also offers a feature-rich Ceph management web-based GUI, Unified Virtual Storage Manager (UVS) to ease the deployment and management of Ceph storage.
Ceph storage solutions are gaining attention in many markets, including IT and cloud service providers, data centers, academic institutions, the medical industry, as well as across IoT and machine learning applications. Ambedded provides Ceph the support needed for many mission-critical applications that require the Level 3 software support from a commercial service provider like SUSE. This includes business and technical support in areas spanning software-defined infrastructure, cloud solutions, SAP solutions, IT infrastructure management and Software-defined storage.
Based on the Ceph Nautilus release, SUSE Enterprise Storage 6 allows customers to seamlessly adapt to changing business demands by:
- Accelerating innovation by removing storage silos and giving customers easier access to different types of data while enabling them to quickly extract data using cutting-edge search and analytics tools.
- Maximizing application availability with faster and more granular backups that leverage cloud resources for improved data protection.
- Responding to changing business demands faster with the ability to quickly and easily leverage public cloud resources as part of storage infrastructure.
Mars 400 SUSE Enterprise Storage 6 Appliance also helps customers to reduce operational IT expenses by:
- Optimizing data placement with the ability to automatically and efficiently move data between all tiers of storage based on policy, ensuring access to critical data when customers need it
- Improving IT efficiency with a single, scalable storage solution that meets all storage requirements for containerized and cloud-enabled workloads, no matter where they live.
Ambedded, a pioneer in Ceph storage appliance based on Arm microserver architecture, is specialized in providing high availability, lower TCO and easy to use Software-Defined Storage solutions. Ambedded’s Ceph Storage Appliance with the heart of open source, and the Unified Virtual Storage Manager (UVS), running on a de-centralized microserver architecture, offers enterprises an elastic, high availability, easy to scale and easy to deploy SDS solution. For more information, visit www.ambedded.com